Head Product Development Project Management Office (PMO) EMEA
Global multinational in the Electrical Engineering business
Core position in the Global R&D organisation
About Our Client
Our client is a global multinational in the electrical engineering industry.
This is a new created position in the Global R&D Organisation reporting directly into the Vice President of Engineering Operations based in USA.
Due to the complexity and the large amount of active and planned R&D Projects, there is a need for a senior professional, who would lead the Project Management Office (PMO) for the EMEA region and manage a team of 25-30 Project Managers across multiple locations in Europe.
R&D is a true global organisation and the product development is managed globally across all business lines. Nevertheless, due to different standards and regulatory constraints in regional markets, there is a product customisation made for multiple markets across EMEA, which require a significant amount of development projects, which will be coordinated from the Project Management Office. These development projects are typically based on platform components which are configurable to customer specifications. There would be 50 to 75 projects running in parallel in different stages, from small maintenance projects of 10 weeks to multi-million large projects that can span over a year.
The core responsibility of the role would be the overall management of the EMEA PMO organization to assure adequate project steering and control, to meet the project delivery and project results for the Global R&D organisation in EMEA. This would include the coordination of activities between global project & product teams located in Europe, USA and India.
Additional responsibilities would be:
- Assure that the project managers are driving the projects towards meeting the projects goals by implementing adequate process steering and project control. This would include the establishment of project dashboards, KPIS, status reports for the CTO leadership team, project analytics for decision support, etc.
- Manage the project capacity planning activity for projects across the different gates in the New Product Introduction (NPI) process.
- Manage the regional PMO cost centre budget and absorption and orchestrate the regional budgeting process for the Global R&D organisation
- Provide mentoring and coaching for regional Project Managers as needed. The target would be to have all Project Managers certified.
- Implement R&D process tailoring for projects when necessary
- Collaborate globally to develop a joint design manufacturing (JDM) based project model
- Establish and operate the regional project management process work groups to develop and share project management best practices
- Maintain harmonized and documented project management process for Software and Hardware
The Successful Applicant
We are looking for a senior candidate with a university degree in Engineering or Science with at least 15 years of experience in project management and project governance in high-tech product development.
We expect best-in-class project management qualifications and a PMO certification.
In terms of sector background, there is a preference for a solid track-record in the utility, telecommunications or similarly regulated industries.
The hired candidate will have very strong leadership skills, particularly leading multi-cultural, multi-site teams across different disciplines within an R&D organisation (hardware, electronics, software, connectivity) at international level, typically in matrix organisations. This is a very visible role which will have exposure to top management and executive board level. We expect therefore somebody who is very knowledgeable about the status and challenges of the projects at all time and who can present in front of a senior management audience.
We expect a solid understanding of product development life cycle methodologies, particularly experience with stage gate methodologies. A specific background in software development methodologies like Agile or Scrum, would be a plus.
The hired candidate will be an expert on project and portfolio management software tools like Microsoft Project or Sciforma.
In terms of soft skills, we are looking for somebody with very good people coaching abilities, with the capacity to motivate others and who brings intercultural sensitivity. Furthermore, we expect ability to resolve conflicts successfully while retaining a collaborative working environment.
Other skills, like strategic approach to reasoning and thinking, decision making, analytical skills, communication skills and negotiation skills are important requirements as well.
This position requires a business fluent English level and availability to travel internationally. The job requires coordination as well with teams in different time zones (India, USA), hence flexible working hours are expected.
What's on Offer
Professional challenge, senior management exposure and visibility.